Please read the following information carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
What is personal data?
Why do we need your personal data?
We will only process your personal data in accordance with applicable data protection and privacy laws. We need certain personal data in order to provide you with access to the Services.
International Data Transfer
Children Under 13
Our Services are not directed to children under age 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us using the details below. If we learn that personal data has been collected from a child under 13, then we will delete such information from our files as soon as reasonably practicable.
Information We Collect
We collect information about you as follows:
Information You Submit to Us. We collect the information you voluntarily submit to us. For example:
- We may collect personal data from you, such as your first and last name, email address and password when you create an account (“Account”) and log-in to our Services.
- If you provide us feedback or contact us via email, we will collect your name and email address, as well as the content of your feedback or email, in order to send you a reply.
- We also collect other types of personal data that you provide to us voluntarily, such as your product registration number(s), information about your Devices, home, and network, and other requested information if you contact us via email regarding support for the Services.
- We may also collect personal data at other points in our Application that state that personal data is being collected.
Information Automatically Collected Via Technology. We use technology to automatically collect information from you in the following ways:
- Log Files. As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes how many users visit a specific page on the Website, how long a user stays on a page, the user’s operating system and browser type and the locations of the Web pages the user views right before arriving at, while navigating and immediately after leaving this Services. We automatically log information about you and your computer or mobile device when you access our Application or Services. For example, when using our Application or Services, we log your computer or Device operating system name and version, manufacturer and model, browser type, browser language, screen resolution, the website you visited before browsing to our Website, pages you viewed, how long you spent on a page, access times and information about your use of and actions on our Application or Services. We collect some this information using cookies. Please refer to the section on cookies below.
- Mobile Services. We may also collect non-personal data from your mobile device if you have downloaded our Application. This information is generally used to help us deliver the most relevant Services to you. Examples of information that may be collected and used include your geographic location, how you use the Application and the Device(s) it connects to, and information about the type of mobile device you use. In addition, in the event our Application(s) crash on your mobile device, we will receive information about your mobile device model software version and device carrier, which allows us to identify and fix bugs and otherwise improve the performance of our Application(s). This information is sent to us as aggregated information and is not traceable to any individual and cannot be used to identify an individual.
- Connected Devices. We may log the Devices that you connect to the Services. When you connect the Services to a Device, we will automatically collect certain information related to that Device, such as the device type, the change of states of that Device (e.g. from “off” to “on”), and how you use that Device.
What are cookies?
We may collect information using “cookies.” Cookies are small data files stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device by a website. We may use both session cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (which stay on your computer or mobile device until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our Services.
We use two broad categories of cookies: (1) first party cookies, served directly by us to your computer or mobile device, which are used only by us to recognize your computer or mobile device when it revisits our Services; and (2) third party cookies, which are served by service providers on our Services, and can be used by such service providers to recognize your computer or mobile device when it visits other websites.
Cookies we use
Our Website uses the following types of cookies for the purposes set out below:
Type of cookie Purpose
Essential Cookies. These cookies are essential to provide you with services available through our Website and to enable you to use some of its features. For example, they help the content of the pages you request load quickly. Without these cookies, the services that you have asked for cannot be provided, and we only use these cookies to provide you with those services.
Functionality Cookies. These cookies allow our Website to remember choices you make when you use our Website, such as remembering your language preferences, remembering your login details and remembering the changes you make to other parts of our Website which you can customize. The purpose of these cookies is to provide you with a more personal experience and to avoid you having to re-enter your preferences every time you visit our Website.
Analytics and Performance Cookies
These cookies are used to collect information about traffic to our Website and how users use our Website. The information gathered does not identify any individual visitor. It includes the number of visitors to our Website, the websites that referred them to our Website, the pages they visited on our Website, what time of day they visited our Website, whether they have visited our Website before, and other similar information. We use this information to help operate our Website more efficiently, to gather broad demographic information and to monitor the level of activity on our Website.
We use Google Analytics and Hubspot for this purpose. They use their own cookies and we use the information they provide to improve how our Website work. You can find out more information about Google Analytics and Hubspot cookies here and here.
You can prevent the use of Google Analytics relating to your use of Website by downloading and installing the browser plugin available via this link. You can prevent the use of Hubspot cookies on our Website by disabling cookies as described below.
You can typically remove or reject cookies via your browser settings. In order to do this, follow the instructions provided by your browser (usually located within the “settings,” “help” “tools” or “edit” facility). Many browsers are set to accept cookies until you change your settings.
Further information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your computer or mobile device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.com.uk. We do not currently respond to “do not track” signals from web browsers.
If you do not accept our cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of our Website. For example, we may not be able to recognize your computer or mobile device and you may need to log in every time you visit our Website.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
General Use. In general, personal data you submit to us is used either to respond to requests that you make, or to aid us in serving you better. We use your personal data to:
- facilitate the creation of and secure your Account on our network;
- identify you as a user in our system;
- provide improved administration of our Services;
- provide the Services you request;
- improve the quality of experience when you interact with our Services;
- send you a welcome e-mail to verify ownership of the e-mail address provided when your Account was created;
- send you administrative e-mail notifications, such as security or support and maintenance advisories;
- respond to your inquiries related to employment opportunities or other requests; and
- send newsletters, surveys, offers, and other promotional materials related to our Services or the products or services of our partners. You may opt-out of receiving promotional messages at any time, as described in such promotional emails. However, even if you opt out of receiving promotional emails, we may still send you emails that are primarily service-related.
Anonymous Data. We may create anonymous data records from the personal data we collect by excluding information (such as your name or email address) that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We use and analyze this anonymous data to help us better understand how our Application and Services are being used. By identifying patterns and trends in usage, we are able to improve our Application and Services. We reserve the right to use anonymous data for any purpose and to disclose anonymous data to third parties in our sole discretion.
Connected Apps. If you have connected the Services to a third-party application (e.g., the “Alexa” mobile app), we will share your personal data with that third party, as described in the Application (or in such third-party application) when you make that connection. Because we do not control the privacy practices of these companies (each a “Connected App Company”), you should read and understand their privacy policies before you enable that connection.
Third Party Services Providers. We may share your personal data with our service providers that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include fulfilling orders, providing customer service and marketing assistance, performing business and sales analysis, hosting our Services, supporting our Services functionality, and supporting contests, sweepstakes, surveys and other features offered through this Services. These service providers may have access to personal data to the extent needed to perform their functions on SmartHome LLC’s behalf.
OTHER SITES, APPLICATIONS, AND SERVICES
We may act as a data processor for third parties, in which case, we will comply with our obligations in our agreement with such third parties.
We use industry standard security measures in an effort to protect against loss, misuse and alteration of the personal data under our control. For example, our Services encrypt sensitive information such as your password and your personal data using secure socket layer (SSL) or similar technology to provide for the encrypted transmission of such information from your computer or mobile device to our servers. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or any wireless network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. In addition, we cannot control the actions of others with whom you share your information. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee or warrant the security of any information transmitted to or from this Services and are not responsible for the theft, destruction or inadvertent disclosure of your information.
SENSITIVE PERSONAL DATA
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive personal data (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Application or Services or otherwise to us.
- Opt-out. You may contact us anytime to opt-out of: (i) direct marketing communications; (ii) automated decision-making and/or profiling; (iii) our collection of sensitive personal data; (iv) any new processing of your personal data that we may carry out beyond the original purpose; or (v) the transfer of your personal data outside the EEA. Please note that your use of some of the Services may be ineffective upon opt-out.
- Access. You may access the personal data we hold about you at any time via your Account or by contacting us directly.
- Amend. You can also contact us to update or correct any inaccuracies in your personal data.
- Move. Your personal data is portable – i.e. you to have the flexibility to move your data to other service providers as you wish.
- Erase and forget. In certain situations, for example when the personal data we hold about you is no longer relevant or is incorrect, you can request that we erase your data.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us as described below. In your request, please make clear: (i) what personal data is concerned; and (ii) which of the above rights you would like to enforce. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the personal data associated with the email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable and in any event, within one month of your request. Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting such change or deletion.
UPDATING YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION
If you wish to update your Account information, log into your Account. If you forget your password, you can reset it via the registered user sign-in page. If you wish to cancel your registration, please contact email@example.com. If you cancel your Account, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to delete your personal data from our production servers.
STOPPING COLLECTION OF DATA
You can stop all collection of personal data by us via the Services by: (a) deleting your Account in the settings of the Application, and/or (b) disconnecting the Services from any SmartHome LLC customer application (through the settings for that application).
NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS – YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS